Oct 27, 2021
Volunteering/Community Service/Social Entreprenuership
To provide a pro-active, efficient, timely, and relevant finance service to the technical and operations departments including project reports at a level of detail necessary to manage budgets effectively, ensuring proper books of account are maintained in compliance with local law and Finance Management Policies and Procedures and timely management and financial accounting reports are provided to regional and head office staff as laid down in the reporting timetable.
Type of Opportunity
- Financial Accounting
- Ensure monthly transactions are entered in the General Ledger accurately and on a timely basis
- Act as a cheque signatory taking primary responsibility for checking the validity and account coding of payments
- Approve advances for field activity and staff travel, ensuring proper process for disbursement of funds, correct documentation and the settlement of advances in a timely manner.
- Maintaining the integrity of the balance sheet by checking and validating: a) monthly bank reconciliations, following up outstanding items b) purchase ledger reconciliations c) staff advances and other debtors d) sundry creditors and all other creditors e) check the fixed assets register is up to date monthly
- Approve the monthly payroll, ensuring direct transfer to staff salary accounts and remitting the payroll deductions to the correct government authorities;
- Work with the CFO to improve financial systems in the Country office, recommending change as part of the global AHSCG improvement to provide timely and appropriate financial information to AHSCG’s Budget Holders and donors.
2. Management Accounting
- Ensure project financial reports for donor and partners are prepared according to donor requirements; submit reports to the regional office for review prior to submitting to the donor.
- Ensure monthly management accounts are reviewed and variances are acted on by budget holders; report to the CFO on the variances and the corrective action that will be taken.
- Prepare annual budgets and monthly cash flow projections for the country office
- Make regular visits to the field offices, project sites and partners to ensure quality in all aspects of finance management
3. Legal, security and Risk Management
- Coordinate with the auditors to complete required statutory audits;
- Conduct spot checks in the head and field offices to ensure internal control are working
- Regularly review all legal contracts to ensure AHSCG’s financial commitments are met
- Ensure, in conjunction with Country Director or (Regional Finance Manager), compliance with all local legal requirements, including tax, pensions and insurance
4. Human Resources
- Set the objectives for Finance staff in coordination with the Country Director and carry out performance appraisals at regular intervals and at least annually.
- Actively support and motivate the local finance and technical teams
- Ensure that time sheets are completed by all staff on a monthly basis
- Coordinate the absence of finance staff to ensure all gaps are covered and handovers completed prior to any leave
Minimum Technical Skill Needed
- Qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a finance team, with at least two years in a managerial position
- Knowledge of NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements Work Based Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong ability to be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks
- Experience in training and developing Finance staff Desirable:
- Working knowledge of accounting software
This is a part time or full time remote volunteer position with flexibility