Jun 18, 2021
Volunteering/Community Service/Social Entreprenuership
The Department of Education (ED) offers internships for students and recent graduates interested in seeking valuable work experience in government and federal education, policy, and administration. Program participants have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to the Department’s mission to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.
ED offers internships in the fall/winter, spring, and summer. The length of time that an intern is with the Department is based on the internship program that they are participating in and/or circumstances. Please read the programs information below.
The Department works to tailor each intern’s experience to the interests and skills of the student against the needs of the Department Program Offices. ED offers internship opportunities in the following areas:
- Human Resources Management;
- Education Policies;
- Data Analytics;
- Project Management;
- Training and Development;
- Grants Management;
- Information Technology; and
- A host of other areas.
ED offers internship opportunities in the fall, winter, spring, and summer. The duration of ED’s internship opportunities can vary depending on the program that the student or recent graduate is participating in. See below for typical program durations:
- Student Volunteer Trainees – eight to ten weeks (the length of the program can be reduced or extended depending on circumstances.)
- Pathways Interns not-to-exceed (NTE) (temporary appointment) – a current student who has been appointed to the internship program for an initial period that is not expected to last more than one year. However, appointment can be extended in 1-year increments if the student continues to meet the program requirements.
- Pathways Interns (indefinite appointment) – a current student who has been appointed to the internship program for an initial period that is expected to last more than one year.
- Pathways Recent Graduates – 1-year program
- Pathways PMF – 2-year program
Visit Website Here: https://www2.ed.gov/students/prep/job/intern/index.html
Type of Opportunity
All-Year Round Internship Opportunity
- Start dates of program: May/June; can last up to 1-year or longer
- Application open and close: February 15th and will be open for five days with an application limit of 200.
- Start dates of program: September/ October; can last up to 1-year or longer
- Application open and close: June 15th and will be open for five days with application limit of 200.
If you have any questions, please email Pathways@ed.gov.
Application Process Includes
Please note that, for all programs, the dates listed below are approximate. Based on a student's or recent graduate’s availability, internships can begin or end before or after the dates indicated below. Some programs can last up to 1-year or more or less.
Also, please be aware that you may not receive correspondence from our office until after the submission deadline has expired. You will be contacted via e-mail in regard to the status of your application.
- Be at least 16 years of age;
- Be accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree or certificate in a qualifying educational institution on a half- to full-time basis (as determined by the educational institution);
- Meet the definition of a student throughout the duration of your appointment;
- Meet ED’s requirements as specified in the Pathways Internship Participant Agreement; and
- Meet the qualification standards (e.g., series and grade) of the internship position in which he/she is applying.
All available internship opportunities that are currently being offered at ED will be announced via the www.usajobs.gov website. All interested applicants should search for ED internship opportunities and apply there.