St John ACT is partnering with the Australian Federal Police (AFP) to provide services and support to help young people avoid the risk of late night alcohol fuelled violence in Civic.
Operating every Friday and Saturday night from 10pm-4am in the bus interchange, CBR NightCrew tent provides a place where young people can rest their feet, hydrate, charge their phones, access first aid and arrange transport home. We will also have roving helpers in the nearby area.
While first aid qualifications and experience are useful, they are not necessary for this volunteering role. A desire to support and help young people and an ability to engage with them is much more important.
Some of the activities involved in a shift include:
* roaming civic engaging with youth and others out at night
* handing out thongs to those without appropriate footwear
* providing drinking water
* de-escalating situations by providing a listening ear
* giving directions
* manning a safe space where people can rest and wait for lifts
* providing phone charging facilities
* providing first aid as required
* caring for the intoxicated
You will be provided with an induction including basic training and will be supported by an experienced team leader with first aid experience and a program coordinator. Team leaders will have direct phone contact with police patrols and teams' safety will be monitored through CCTV.
Make a difference today and join as a volunteer.
Requirements for volunteers:
* Minimum age 18
* A current Working With Vulnerable Persons Card
We are looking for people of all ages (over 18) that can engage with youth and others out in Civic on Friday and Saturday nights and have the ability and interest to support intoxicated persons.
Ability to attend 9.30pm to approximately 4am
Ability to work in a team
Friendly and approachable
Ability to follow instructions
No prior experience necessary